COLD TURKEY STUFFING
Contributed by Karen
1 cup long grain rice
2 cups cold water
6 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 large stalk celery, finely chopped
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp sage
1/2 tsp thyme
2 eggs, well beaten
4 slices white bread, crusts removed, cubed and soaked in milk (bm? )
2 cups canned chestnuts, well drained and chopped
1 tsp ground fresh pepper
salt to taste
1. Spread rice in bottom of frying pan. Brown the rice over low heat.
2. Pour water into saucepan and add pinch of salt. Bring to boil.
3. Add browned rice to water, cover and cook 15 minutes over low heat.
4. Melt butter in another saucepan over low heat.
5. Add onion, celery, parsley, sage and thyme. Mix and cook 4 minutes over low heat.
6. Remove saucepan from heat. Add eggs, drained bread, chestnuts, pepper, salt and rice. Mix well.
7. Stuff turkey with mixture.
SIMPLE DHAL/ PARRUPU CURRY
Contributed by Sheela
1 cup Dhal
1 big onion-cubed finely
1 green chilly-sliced thinly round
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp jintan putih
1/2 tsp biji sawi (mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
LG Asofoetida (get in solid form & not powder-can get from Indian provision shop)-abt the size of 5 cents coin would do
coriander leaves chopped for garnishing.
1. Pressure cook the dhall with a little water, turmeric powder & LG (about 5 whistles-or till the dhal is cooked )
2.Heat oil in wok, add mustard seeds & after the seeds have exploded, add jintan putih & fenugreek & fry for a few secs.
3. Add onions & fry till it is limp & lightly browned.
4. Add ginger garlic paste & green chilly & fry for a few secs. Add curry leaves & chopped tomatoes.
5. Add the pressure cooked dhal (there should still be a little water). Add a more water so that it is less thick & let it boil for a few mins.Close fire & add the chopped coriander leaves.
6. Enjoy with chapattis.
Contributed by Sheela
1 cup coconut
ginger (abt 1 cm)
garlic -2 cloves
Blend all the above in a blender.
Mustard seed (biji sawi)-1/2 tsp
1. Heat oil in a small wok. Fry the mustard seed until it splutters. Add the curry leaves & dry chilly for a few secs. Add all this (together with the oil) to the blended ingredients.